2010-04-14 - Jakarta Taglibs has been retired.
For more information, please explore the Attic.
Jakarta Project: String Tag library
2004/05/17 - 1.1.0
Although this is mostly a bug fixing release, we decided to create a new minor release, as it now depends on Commons Lang 2.0 and has some new features (see below)
- Changed license to ASF 2.0
- Bug 25136 - <str:chomp> wasn't working anymore
- Bug 27324 - changed handlers code to be compliant with Commons Lang 2.0
- Added attribute delimiterInside to <str:wordWrap> (bug 21866)
- Added new custom tags, <str:join> and <str:split> (bug 20204)
2003/02/20 - 1.0.1
Bug-fixing release. Most notably, it does not have the EL functionality that is available in the CVS HEAD.
- Made a fix to bug # 15321 that stops WordWrap falling over with an ArrayOutOfBoundsException when a newline falls in a particular place.
- Added in a carriageToken to the str:replace tag.
- Added in an attribute, newlineToken, to str:replace to allow newlines to be handled nicely.
- Removed copyright to William Brogden of Metaphone.java which I'd dimwittingly left there. I have permission of the author in doing so.
- Removed the unnecessary initAttributes from inside the startTag method for all tags. This was stopping String tags from working inside loops when the container decided to cache the tag.
- Fixed example string.jsp for truncateNicely as it has the wrong expected value.
- Implemented the switch to using "taglibs-" as a prefix for jar and tld files for taglibs.
2002/10/07 - 1.0
Initial release of the String Taglib, to give users a stable released version to work against.
New features added since initial release
- Changed implementation of random() to use the same Random instance
across calls. This stops the same value coming out if called in the same
- Swapcase tag. Non-alphabetical text was replaced with the previous alphabetical
character and not left alone. this_is_blue becomes thississblue.
- Substring tag. Added protection into substring so that it doesnt complain
when end indexes larger than the string are passed in.
- Added ability to pass -ve indexes in, meaning distance from the end of
- Newlines on their own were being rubbed out in the wordWrap method.
More generically, any whitespace delimiter was being rubbed out. This is due
to the fact that the method considers whitespace to be the type of character
to split upon. It forgot that a newline was a whitespace though.
- Changed implementation of StringWisLine so it doesn't try to goto the
n+1th element of an array. Was a missing -1 in the algorithm's
- Updated StringW.center/leftPad/rightPad inline with fixes in Commons.
- Updated StringW.replaceString with the version in the Commons.
- Fixed StringW.evaulateSet's javadoc.
- Fixed a logic fault in the negation logic for CharSet class.
- ReverseDelimitedString renamed to ReverseDelimitedStringTag.
- Substring tag default start set to be 0 so an end can be specified on
its own. Default end no longer -1 as implementation no longer uses that.
- Fixed a bug in which the tags were returning SKIP_BODY. This is illegal in
a doEndTag method. Now it returns EVAL_PAGE.
- Added a 'var' attribute to all tags. The var attribute tells the tag to
place the result in the pagecontext under that variable name and not to
output the result to the screen.
- Switched String taglib to be dependent on the beta release of Jakarta
Commons Lang. This removes a large amount of the utility code from the
- Added left, right and mid tags to the taglib. These are new methods
in the StringUtils class in Commons Lang and it makes sense to offer these
up as and when they arrive.
2001/08/30 - Initial Version
Initial version of String tag-library. Matching the v0.4 of the
GenerationJava String taglib.